I have been placing ads in several magazines. I spend money on radio, television and on the internet. I don’t believe that advertising works for me. I can save money by just using “word of mouth marketing.” What are your thoughts? – Disgusted Business Owner
First of all, I would like to thank you for making the attempt at marketing your business. In truth, my concern is that you have not talked about your marketing strategy.
Most business owners advertise for a couple of reasons that have nothing to do with helping their company to grow or build brand awareness. Here are few reasons that we have observed.
- A media consultant told me that they could help me advertise my business.
- My friend talked about some advertising that worked for them.
- I personally like the media company.
All these reasons are based on feelings and not strategy. The other reason could be messaging. You might be using the right media but the message is wrong.
There is a science to buying media. Here are some basic steps.
- Determine your target market.
- Research the media that speaks directly to your target market.
- Create a message with a call to action that tells the consumer what you want them to do.
- Ensure that you put the way you want the consumer to contact you.
- Measure the advertisement for at least four to six months.